The list maker has taken a verse about the prophet Isaiah and claimed it is a prophecy about Jesus.

How can we be sure that it is Isaiah and not Jesus?

Read it.

"The L-rd G-d gave me a tongue for teaching (לִמּוּדִ֔ים -- not counselor), to know to establish times for the faint [for His] word; He awakens me every morning, He awakens my ear, to hear according to the teachings."   Y'shayahu / Isaiah 50:4

Me.

Me.

My ear.

The pronoun is first person.

The person who is teaching is the speaker.

Who is the speaker?

Isaiah, the prophet.

This is not rocket science.

Isaiah describes himself in this passage -- he remarks on his good faith and willingness to subject himself to humiliation in his prophetic career.    "The L-rd G-d opened my ear, and I did not rebel; I did not turn away backwards.  I gave my back to smiters and my cheeks to them that plucked off the hair; I did not hide my face from embarrassments and spitting. But the L-rd G-d helps me, therefore, I was not embarrassed; therefore, I made my face like flint, and I knew that I would not be ashamed."  Y'shayahu / Isaiah 50:5 - 7.

Isaiah.

The Jewish sages Rashi Ibn Ezra and Kimchi (the Radak) all reached this conclusion.  The Radak wrote "This is what the prophet said about himself."

Y'shayahu / Isaiah 50:4 - 9 is the third of Isaiah's four Servant Songs.

• Y'shayahu / Isaiah 42:1-4,   "Behold My servant, I will support him, My chosen one, whom My soul desires; I have placed My spirit upon him, he shall promulgate justice to the nations.  He shall neither cry nor shall he raise [his voice]; and he shall not make his voice heard outside.A breaking reed he shall not break; and a flickering flaxen wick he shall not quench; with truth shall he execute justice.  Neither shall he weaken nor shall he be broken, until he establishes justice in the land, and for his instruction, islands shall long."  

• Y'shayahu / Isaiah 49:1-6,   "Hearken, you islands, to me, and listen closely, you nations, from afar; the L-rd called me from the womb, from the innards of my mother He mentioned my name.   And He made my mouth like a sharp sword, He concealed me in the shadow of His hand; and He made me into a polished arrow, He hid me in His quiver.  And He said to me, "You are My servant, Israel, about whom I will boast."   And I said, "I toiled in vain, I consumed my strength for nought and vanity." Yet surely my right is with the L-rd, and my deed is with my G-d.  And now, the L-rd, Who formed me from the womb as a servant to Him, said to bring Jacob back to Him, and Israel shall be gathered to Him, and I will be honored in the eyes of the L-rd, and my G-d was my strength.  And He said, "It is too light for you to be My servant, to establish the tribes of Jacob and to bring back the besieged of Israel, but I will make you a light of nations, so that My salvation shall be until the end of the earth."

• Y'shayahu / Isaiah 50:4-9,   "The L-rd G-d gave me a tongue for teaching, to know to establish times for the faint [for His] word; He awakens me every morning, He awakens My ear, to hear according to the teachings.   The L-rd G-d opened my ear, and I did not rebel; I did not turn away backwards.  I gave my back to smiters and my cheeks to them that plucked off the hair; I did not hide my face from embarrassments and spitting.  But the L-rd G-d helps me, therefore, I was not embarrassed; therefore, I made my face like flint, and I knew that I would not be ashamed.  He Who vindicates me is near, whoever wishes to quarrel with me-let us stand together; whoever is my contender shall approach me.   Behold, the L-rd G-d shall help me; who is he that will condemn me? Behold all of them shall wear out like a garment, a moth shall consume them."

• Y'shayahu / Isaiah 52:13 - 53:12 (the link is to the Judaica Press Translation, but the translation given next is from the Artscroll Stone Edition T'nach), "Behold, My servant will succeed; he will be exalted and become high and exceedingly lofty.   ​52:14 Just as multitudes were astonished over you (saying) "His appearance is too marred to be a man's, and his visage to be human,   ​52:15 so will the many nations exclaim about him, and kings will shut their mouths (in amazement) for they will see that which had never been told to them, and will perceive things they had never heard53:1 Who would believe what we have heard! For whom has the arm of HaShem been revealed?    

2 Formerly he grew like a sapling or like the root from arid ground; he had neither form nor grandeur; we saw him, but without such visage that we could desire him.  3 He was despised and isolated from men, a man of pains and accustomed to illness. As one from whom we would hide our faces; he was despise and we had no regard for him.   4 But in truth it was our ills that he bore, and our pains that he carried -- but we had regarded him diseased, stricken by G-d and afflicted!   

5 He was pained because of our rebellious sins and oppressed through our iniquities; the chastisement upon him was for our benefit, and through his wounds we were healed. 

6 We have all strayed like sheep each of us turning his own way and HaShem inflicted upon him the iniquity of us all. 

7 He was persecuted and afflicted but did not open his mouth; like a sheep being led to the slaughter or a ewe that is silent before her shearers, he did not open his mouth. 

8 Now that he has been released from captivity and judgment who could have imagined such a generation?For he had been removed from the land of the living, an affliction upon them that was my people's sin. 

9 He submitted himself to his grave like wicked men; and the wealthy (submitted) to his executions for committing no crime and with no deceit in his mouth. 

10 HaShem desired to oppress him and He afflicted him; if his soul would acknowledge guilt he would see offspring and live long days and the desire or HaShem would succeed in his hand.   

11. He would see (the purpose) and be satisfied with his soul's distress. With his knowledge My servant will vindicate the Righteous One to multitudes; it is their iniquities that he will carry. 

12. Therefore, I will assign him a portion from the multitudes and he will divide the mighty as spoils -- in return for having poured out his soul for death and being counted among the wicked, for he bore the sin of the multitudes, and prayed for the wicked."

Although Isaiah is sometimes identified as the servant, as are others (as shown above) including the Jewish nation as a singular entity, the passage claimed in this supposed prophecy is not a prophecy at all.  Isaiah is speaking of himself (as is clear from the pronouns of first person singular). 

Although the Hebrew word for "servant" does not explicitly appear in Y'shayahu / Isaiah 50:4-9 the descriptions of the servant's characteristics are quite similar to those of the servant found in the other three Servant Songs.  None have any allusion to the Jesus unless the context (and even the pronouns!) are ignored.

The list maker references Matthew 11:28 and 29 as "proof" but neither passage mentions Jesus as a teacher (not counselor).   Matthew speaks of Jesus giving rest to the weary -- not teaching them.   Even if Jesus did teach, was a counselor and helped the weary "so what"?   There are tens of thousands (if not millions) of teachers alive today --  simply being a teacher is not "proof" that Y'shayahu / Isaiah 50:4 is about Jesus.   Yet again the list maker makes a claim that does not fit Jesus.  

Many Christian commentators admit the passage in Isaiah is about the prophet "This and the following passages may be in some sort understood of the prophet Isaiah," (Matthew Henry), and "This and the following passages may be, in some sort, understood of the Prophet Isaiah" Benson Commentary even as the Christians go on to insist that even so it is really about Jesus.

סופי

And everything that Sarah tells you, listen to her voice. Bereshit (Genesis) 21:12
Last Edited By: Sophiee1 Tue, 11-Jul-17 12:52:43. Edited 1 time.